A regional headquarters for the coordination of spring field work has been established at the Ministry of Agriculture of the Novgorod Region. The first meeting of the headquarters is planned to be held in February to assess the readiness of the region’s farmers for planting, and to solve problematic issues before the start of the active season.
Plans for sowing in 2019 are coordinated with the districts of the region. According to preliminary information, spring sowing is to be conducted on an area of 41 thousand hectares, which is 3% more than the 2018 level, including:
- grain and leguminous plants – 11 thousand hectares (104% to the level of 2018);
- potatoes – 10.5 thousand hectares (103% of the 2018 level);
- vegetables – 3 thousand hectares (104% of the 2018 level);
- flax – 1.5 thousand hectares (101% of the 2018 level);
- rape сrops – 4 thousand hectares (103% of the 2018 level);
- fodder crops – 11 thousand hectares (104% of the 2018 level).
The area of winter grain crops for the 2019 harvest is 6.4 thousand hectares, which is 3.5 times more than was sown for the 2018 harvest. Winter rape is sown on an area of 1.4 thousand hectares.
The total sown area this year will be 163 thousand hectares (105% of the 2018 level).